Filomena’s Overwhelmed Oatmeal, or Avena para Alivio
Filomena knows that the work Inez does as a smuggler is necessary, if not ideal. There are days when she can tell it’s taking its toll on her daughter. On those days, the only way she can really help Inez, is by giving a moment of comfort.
1 cinnamon stick
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of oats
1/4 cup raisins
- Soak oatmeal in 1/2 cup of water for 20 minutes or until the oats double in size.
- Meanwhile, boil the other half cup of water with stick of cinnamon on medium low heat.
- When you can smell the cinnamon, add raisins, butter, brown sugar, and dash of salt.
- After the butter melts, add the milk. Just before the milk boils, drain the oats and add to the mixture.
- Stir frequently until mixture thickens. Pour into bowl and add a scoop of applesauce on top.
- Inhale and relax!